Monday, January 11, 2010

Checking in ...

I feel like the young Catholic boy I used to be kneeling in the confessional on a Saturday afternoon: “Father it has been three weeks since my last confession.” But it’s been far longer than that since I’ve posted and I have nothing like a confession to make, except for the fact that I haven’t been writing, not from a lack of something to write about exactly but more from a decision to keep it to myself.

Living in this foreign land has become less foreign, less strange, something akin to routine has crept into my life and HH’s. We wake early, bathe, go to school, do our respective work for the day and meet up again in the late afternoon. There is play and eating together at the kitchen table, brushing of teeth and bedtime stories, something to write about perhaps but the rhythm of it has lulled me into complacency. I’m tired at night by the time I’ve put him to bed, sorted out the wash, and done the dishes. I’m too tired most nights to do much of anything else but crawl into bed with a good book and wait for my eyes to become heavy and finally drift off to sleep.

Something will catch my eye in the coming days, something I haven’t seen before or haven’t looked at closely enough to realize how interesting it really is. There are things I could have written about, difficult things, unsettling things, life-wracking things but I won’t be writing about them here at least not any time soon. For now, I’ll just say hello to those of you who still follow this story of ours and thank you for your time and interest and hope to see you again.

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wishing you and your family all the best. Whatever your reasons are I hope they are of a temporary nature and that your life will soon be full of joy again with lots of good things to share with your fan club. I've missed your postings and updates about HH. You've touched a lot of us out here in Cyberland. Happy 2010. And please, if at all possible, let us know once in a while that you are alive and kicking!
Thanks much. Karin in L.A.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Berlinbound said...

Thanks Karin ... That means a lot.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I can relate. I post only when I am in the mood these days - sometimes fairly frequently, sometimes with long breaks. Four years in Deutschland and not a lot stands out to me anymore - I have settled in too. Anyhow, all the best for 2010. Enjoy your posts - but no pressure ;-)

6:31 AM  
Blogger daringtowrite said...

I haven't been here for a while either, Richard, but will sit with you for a while now to see if I can catch up, at least with what is not between the lines.

5:18 AM  
Anonymous Megan said...

I've been in that place before: Routine and life that is too real for writing. I'll keep checking back patiently for when the story telling starts again. Until then, best wishes for a good 2010, hope any storms that may be, pass quickly.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Berlinbound said...

Wenda, Michelle, Megan ...

Glad to hear from you and thanks for your thoughts.

6:26 AM  
Anonymous ian in hamburg said...

Why apologise for not posting? It's not as if your readers have paid for a subscription.

Looking at it another way - which would you rather neglect, your blog or your son?

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Jennifer said...

I'm still out here reading when you feel like writing (ah, bless the feed-reader that shows me in bold print when you've posted.)

Hope all is well.

8:26 PM  
Anonymous NYCtoNewHampshire said...

Here's an article in the January 2010 issue of Smithsonian Magazine which, hopefully, brings a smile.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/For-German-Butchers-a-Wurst-Case-Scenario.html

All the best for 2010.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Berlinbound said...

ThaNks!

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home