Saturday, August 16, 2008

Sam Yasgur

One of the great things about working in documentary films is that you have the chance to spend time with folks who have something to say. I’ve been lucky and met more than my share of remarkable people. Now that isn’t always the case, as with anything in life there are just as many disappointments as there are high points. The thing that makes the difference for me between a memorable person and a simply famous one, is their story, not just the arc of their life or their accomplishments, but the power and sincerity of what they have to say: It’s their stories I remember.

Recently I’ve been working on a project about the 1969 Woodstock Festival and yesterday we were scheduled to interview Sam Yasgur, whose father Max hosted the Woodstock Festival on one of his pastures in the rolling hills of Bethel, NY. I wish I had had the chance to meet Max Yasgur, but he passed away in 1972. From what I’ve heard he was a remarkable man. His son Sam had never before agreed to a documentary interview. He’s the County Prosecutor here and before that worked in the Manhattan District Attorney’s office and had a successful career as a trial lawyer in New York City. A few years ago Sam gave up that practice and moved back to his hometown. I didn’t ask him why he decided to do that but I suspect it had something to do with the fact that one of his greatest passions in life is jumping on his motorcycle after work and just riding through the hills.

We’d never met, although we had spent an hour the previous day talking on the phone and from that conversation I knew he was someone special. While the crew was shooting in what had once been his father’s pasture, taking shots of the original Woodstock stage site, I waited for Sam. I didn’t know what he looked like and I’d forgotten to tell him what I looked like so I was concerned that he would be wandering around looking for me. About 30 minutes before our scheduled interview I saw a large black motorcycle pull into the parking lot of Bethel Woods where we would be conducting his interview. I watched the bike as it slowly pulled into a parking space and it’s driver got off, removed his helmet and slowly made his way up the hill to the main building of the Bethel Woods Center for the Performing Arts, an impressive complex of music performance venues built by Alan Gerry on the site of the 1969 concert. When he opened his jacket I saw his shirt and tie and I knew it must be him.

We fell into conversation right away and were still talking when the crew made their way back to the rendezvous point. He’s the kind of man who cuts to the chase pretty quickly, not a lot of “BS” in this guy, and before I knew it we were talking about a subject that is probably closer to my heart than any other. We both have a son, his is grown now and far from home but the two of them are still close. He asked me a question that he said spoke more about what was important in his life than any other: If you knew you had five minutes to live and you had to select one snapshot from your life to take with you to the other side, what would that image be? The catch was, the image could only contain you and one other person.

About twenty years ago Sam’s son competed in a 100-mile bicycle race. Sam was following the riders on his motorcycle and as the race neared completion his son decided to take on the additional challenge of an extra 25-mile leg – it was something the experienced riders had the option to tackle. At some point on that 25-mile stretch his son started to falter. Sam caught up with him and checked in to see how he was doing. His son was tired but otherwise ok but Sam knew his boy was near the end of his endurance. Sam smokes unfiltered Pall Malls and his son was always after him to quit, so Sam told him that if he could make it to the end, he would join him the following year and they would ride the 100 miles together. That was enough motivation for the boy to reach down very deep and finish the race. Sam quit smoking and bought himself a bike. He trained, albeit irregularly, adding a few miles every month or so but he never got close to riding the 100 miles that would be required.

That year his son was the captain of his High School football team and it seemed to Sam that he had forgotten all about the race. The day before the race was a big game, his son played well, was awarded the game ball by his team and came home that night bruised and battered. The next morning Sam asked his son if he still wanted to ride and the boy pulled on his bike jersey and the two of them set off. They never had a chance of winning the race and the two of them rode that day slightly behind the pack, his son always a few yards ahead setting the pace for his father. Near the end of the course they came upon a particularly tough stretch of road. Sam’s legs had turned to jelly and to make matters worse the surface of the road had turned to cobblestones. He was certain he was going to fall, he was having great difficulty controlling the bike and he knew if he went down he would never get back up. Just as he was about to collapse he felt something in the small of his back. It was his son’s hand steadying him and then he heard the boy’s voice, “We started this together dad and we’ll finish it together.”

When we completed our interview and the crew had packed up the gear, Mr. Yasgur put on his motorcycle jacket. The sun was beginning to set and he was preparing for a three-hour ride into Western Massachusetts to spend the evening with friends. He reached into his saddlebag and told me there was something he wanted me to see before he left. He rummaged around in the bag for a while cursing under his breath because he thought he might have misplaced the thing he was looking for. Then smiling he pulled out a weathered leather wallet and gently placed a dog-eared picture in my hand. It was the two of them, Sam and his son, after that 100-mile race, tired and sweaty and smiling. “This is the image I’d carry with me to the other side” he said.

He slipped the photo back into his wallet, fastened his helmet and road off into the sunset. I’ve heard a great many stories in my life but his is one I’ll not forget.



Blogger Squirrel said...

you're a good storyteller. that almost got me crying. sam has a great son.

3:51 AM  
Blogger edward said...

it's sad you have to go back so soon. weren't you thinking about seeing Heart at Bethel woods?

5:20 PM  
Blogger Diane Mandy said...

What a great story. You are a wonderful writer!

6:54 PM  
Blogger Squirrel said...

I may be in the Catskills on Thursday and Friday this week. When are you taking off?

12:40 AM  
Blogger The Liberator said...

Hello !

6:32 PM  
Blogger Berlinbound said...

Squirrel ... I'm here today and tomorrow - then off! So give me a buzz or a note - would love to visit.

11:14 AM  
Blogger d. chedwick said...

next summer we'll have to plan some kind of blogger get together at Bethel Woods. Dennis and Eddy have to go to the Vet today.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Very cool.

1:52 AM  
Blogger Berlinbound said...

Sorry to have missed you - we must make a better effort next summer.

We are back in Cologne - already missing our beautiful, sunny Catskills!

Love all around ...

6:32 PM  
Blogger lou said...

Hi Richard! It moves me to read about these strong connections between people, and to see that some people are aware of what's happening as it happens. They can treasure the memory and I think it gives them strength.
Once, as a young adult, I went on a difficult cross-country ski trek with my father. He always loved the outdoors and meeting a challenge. The outing meant a lot to him, I guess I knew it instinctively -- but we never put these things into words. If we did, we made light of everything.
At some point, my father was very tired and it was getting dark. We pressed on, had to get out of the woods! I was worried for Dad and focussed on making things easier for him, all the while trying not to show him that I knew he was exhausted.
Reading your story, I envied a bit the father-son link, this pushing to the limit together. Dad and I did this, but I remember mostly my concern over his physical well-being. Maybe because I'm a woman... What I mean to say is, I sometimes wish I had lived the sort of experience your story tells, with the frame of mind of a son.
Still, we spoke of this outing often afterwards. We turned the hardest parts into jokes when retelling the story to family... they thought we were crazy to begin with, so joking disguised our feelings of achievement enough to avoid ridicule :)
I never forgot that ski day and neither did my father. He referred to it quietly to me when the laughter died down. He was proud to have done it with me. Mostly, as I realised gradually later, this outing was a way to show our love for each other.

btw, always love your blog and sometimes have left a comment but the last few didn't appear so I gave up a while. Hope this gets through and best wishes to you and your family! lou

7:23 PM  
Blogger Berlinbound said...

lou ... thanks so much for your comment. i'm glad this story resonates for you. and thanks for sharing your story. I wish I had one like this about my own father and can only hope that HH will have one or two to tell his son.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Medical Information said...

Your site gives me much interesting stuff here, I really enjoyed. I will be back for more new updates here

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Kriss Hermoza said...

I had been searching on this topic for a long while but I was not able to find great resources like that. Now I feel very confidence by your tips about that, I think you have choosen a great way to write some info on this topic. Regards

6:31 PM  
Anonymous how to lose weight without counting calories said...

I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post..

5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home