Saturday, September 23, 2006

German II

When I first moved to Cologne I enrolled in a very challenging four-week intensive German language class – it was terrific and has enabled me to function, more or less, for almost a year. The problem is, I haven’t taken another class since then and have spent nearly half this last year back in the states. So my German language skills have not just failed to progress, some of the very bad habits I’ve developed have been repeated over and over and over again.

Recently I returned to German language classes, twice a week for three hours a session. This time I’m taking classes at the local Volkshochschule (VHS). My teacher is great and there is a good mix of students but the course is really difficult. You see, I took a placement exam and skipped a level. I enjoy a good challenge and I think I can keep up with this class … but it’s still early. Wish me luck !! More anon …

6 Comments:

Blogger Jul said...

Viel Glück wünsche ich dir.

10:08 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Good luck to you! Once you get into it again, it will all start making sense. The VHS is where I did my courses many, many years ago. If you need any help with your homework, just give me a holler. :-)

11:13 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Viel Gluck, Richard!

1:18 AM  
Blogger J said...

Bad habits are hard to break, so good luck.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

You'll do great. For me, a glass of wine does more for my German than three weeks of classes. Once I'm not worrying about grammar and how dumb I must sound, it all just flows out! (I do think that has to do with having German parents and hearing the language a bit as I grew up...)

Carol

6:21 PM  
Blogger Berlinbound said...

Jul ...

Vielen Dank !


Christina ... Thanks - I appreciate the offer!


Cathy ... Danke!


J ... Yes they are.


Carol ...Yes, I vote for wine as a study aid!

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home