Saturday, March 25, 2006

Back across the pond ...

Early tomorrow (Sunday) morning I leave for a two-month stay in New York. I will be writing now and then about how it feels to be back in America; I can’t imagine it because I have never been away for so long.

His Holiness is about as settled as he is going to be, he likes his nursery school and his new nanny … but he knows I am leaving. This afternoon before he fell asleep for his afternoon nap, we lay side-by-side on the bed and he told me he loved me and let me hold his hand. He fell asleep smiling, the little spaces between his teeth showing and his cheeks all puffy and pink with life and joy. Once sleep overcame him his face settled into perfect softness and I looked at him for the longest time, but never long enough.

12 Comments:

Blogger christina said...

Have a safe trip back, Richard. And be strong. :-)

10:54 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I echo Christina; be strong.
For a moment my heart cimpley ached for you. Not HH, though, because he will be fine with his mama and those around hime. But for you, and the heartache that you will experience. But you know he will be fine deep down so just go and enjoy your work and New York and the things and people you love there. And then when you return, you will be able to love HH even that much more. And you wil both be able to appreciate one another in a way that separation could not have created. xo

1:56 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Sorry; that should read "simply", not cimpley!

1:57 AM  
Blogger Signora B. said...

Have a safe trip ,Richard,I have tears in my eyes.You so love that little boy .
He will be fine and your reunion will be grand.
Take care.

5:30 PM  
Blogger piu piu said...

have a good flight. i'll email you soon x

7:28 PM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

Have a safe flight and a good trip and I hope the time flies for you and HH and you are soon lying on the bed together again.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Rich said...

I hope you had a nice flight Richard and that the goodbys went as well as possible. I look forward to reading about your NY adventure. I hope time flys by and you are here with HH soon. Peace my friend.

9:44 AM  
Blogger J said...

I must have lost track of time. I didn't realise you were leaving last weekend. Hope you're not too jet-lagged and I'm looking forward to hearing your observations.

9:58 AM  
Blogger x said...

looking forward to hear from you again.
I know you miss HH already. He is going to be fine and you'll be back in no time. In fact you'll be Papa from NY!
xx

1:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure you'll like NY, I've been there a couple of times. It is totally different to any German town and it will be a great adventure. :)

1:37 PM  
Blogger mama jens said...

Hi Richard!! I am back in blogland. I hope you trip to NY goes well. I can't wait to hear your impressions after having been living in Germany for a little while now. All is well in the south so far! Love, Mama Jens

1:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope it passes quickly. Wish you a safe trip and return.

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home