Tuesday, February 07, 2006

February 7, 2006

I've just learned I will be returning to New York in early April for an extended stay. I have work to do in America that will take me away from His Holiness for almost two months. Tonight when I put him to bed he was full of beans … energetic and funny and charming … and irresistible of course. He persuaded me to read him three stories instead of the usual two and the third story was one that always gets to me and it got to me hard tonight. The book is called “Taxi Dog” and it tells the story of a New York City stray named Maxi who finds the taxi driver of his dreams and the two of them ride through the Gotham I know and love and clearly through the Gotham that the writers of this children’s book knew and loved as well.
HH has also taken to sitting on my lap while I read him his bedtime stories. I don’t know where this idea originated, but for the last two weeks or so he has requested the hot seat and why would I refuse? So here we are, the two of us, HH stretched out on my lap, his dingy white blanket wrapped around him and “baby” his far dingier brown bear on his shoulder. When I finished reading “Taxi Dog” with it’s descriptions of New York City streets and buildings I was almost weeping … HH settled down into his bed, waved goodbye and blew me a sloppy kiss. I told him I loved him and he replied, “ I love you too” although I am not sure he has any idea what the words mean or what effect they have on me. I don’t know how I will survive the time away from him.

9 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Richard;
I must see if I can find this book; it sounds wonderful. My son started to spontaeously sit on my lad while reading books at night, also around the age of two.

I have travelled for a few weeks at a time while my son was that age and it made my time with him even that much more precious and special.

I can imagine it would be hard. Can you get a web cam and check in with one another daily?

xoxo

2:15 AM  
Blogger x said...

that's a lovely mental image. Richard, i'm sure he does know what "I love you too" means. Even if at this point it means "you make me feel nice and warm inside too". When you are loved you just know it.
I think you'll be okay in April. You'll see New York again, and each day you'll find a little something to take back home and show him. It'll be your New York bedtime story.
xx

11:05 AM  
Blogger christina said...

I think they do know what it means at that age.

I wonder which one of you will miss the other one more?

I've only ever left my kids for a month at a time and it was pretty hard but we got through it.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Berlinbound said...

Cathy ... It was a book that was thrown away but rescued by the super, who then gave it to us ... true second-hand. It is my favorite HH book, but I can't read it every night ... it is too close to what was once home.

Chloe ... That is a wonderful idea ... thank you very much indeed.

Christina ... This will be our longest parting to date ... I don't look forward to one moment of it.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ah. I guess the time away will be really hard. But maybe it will make you appreciate Germany more and want to get back there faster.

8:15 PM  
Blogger christina said...

I remember having my dad read me stories & sitting in his lap. Some of my favorite memories. WOW--I can imagine it will be a challenge for you to leave Germany so soon--to leave HH and to return to your beloved NYC.

8:51 PM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

Cathy's idea of a webcam sounds great - something to look into.

I have no experience to offer - I can only imagine how hard it will be for both of you. But you'll find a way, and then a big hug of reunion.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Signora B. said...

Richard,I am sorry you have to leave HH for a while .Can you read his favorite Stories on a CD or a Tape ,and he will still hear your Voice at night before going to sleep?
My heart goes out to you .

1:54 AM  
Blogger J said...

wow, that'll be a challenge for both of you. Was this unexpected?

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home